Quantcast

Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

Jason R
I'm restoring a '77 750k and can't seem to connect the original throttle cables to the carb.  I thought it would be easy but here I am hat in my hand asking you guys.  It doesn't matter which cable I hook up to the link lever first, I come up 1/2 inch shy on the second cable.  No matter how hard I pull I can't get enough slack to connect my second cable to the link lever; the threads are always 1/2" away from the lever.  My Clymer manual doesn't discuss this procedure at all, pg.122 it simply states "disconnect throttle cables from link lever".  And later pg. 125 instructs "Assemble in reverse order of disassemble"

Is there a trick I'm missing her?  Or some newbie mistake I'm overlooking?  Parts are original.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Jason

Re: Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

shadow06
if you haven,t run this bike before dissassembly and had minor problem getting cables off check and see if idle srew was not cranked all the way in ,other than that maybe cables are not routed properly

Re: Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

sjackson
Are you trying to connect the cables with the carburetors installed on the motor? Because you won't be able to. It's best to have the carbs off, and a little bit to the right. But if you're already doing that, I don't know what to tell you. Double check your cable routing I guess.

Re: Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

Jason R
Flatcurve I think you nailed it with taking the carburetor off first.  I briefly considered it but after all the wrestling with the carb boots I too quickly kicked that option out of my head

Shadow06 I did make sure the idle screw was all the way out giving maxim play.  I'll double check the routing though, I'm pretty sure they take the shortest path under the bars and through the frame, but doesn't hurt to make sure.

Thanks for your guys advise.

Jason

Re: Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

sjackson
Just make sure that when it's back on, there isn't a bunch of tension on your cables holding the throttle open. That wouldn't be good.

Re: Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

DesignBuild
yeah, removing the carbs. would be the best option, it can be done with them installed but is a pain. If you go that route, i used a screwdriver to open my throttle so i could get to the second linkage, anything would do as long as it holds good. Best thing to do is take them off though

Re: Having trouble installing Throttle Cables

combat
goodluck i finally disconnected the b cable as it jammed my throttles and $50 a cable i found it easier to leave the b off the bike runs like it always has