Quantcast

what oil to use?

reef5000
hi I would like to know what oil to use in 1974 cb 750 k.I have download manual but fail to locate exactly what sort of oil.It call for 10w40,but it is motorcycle oil or dyno automotive?I do not want to use synthetic.Thanks

Re: what oil to use?

TOOLS1
Administrator
I use Texaco Havolin 10w 40 in all my bikes, and change it every 3000 miles. I used to be a professional mechanic, and have torn several engines apart. I would always ask what kind of oil they were running, and the cleanest engines always had Texaco Havolin in them.
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-K X 2
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

Re: what oil to use?

reef5000
yes thank you.Does have to be for bikes like 4T or just automotive regular?

Re: what oil to use?

bijna
I use Shell rotella is almost everything. It's meant for diesel engines I think. Its great stuff and it's meant to take a beating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Rotella_T#Motorcycle_usage

Re: what oil to use?

TOOLS1
Administrator
Just automotive is fine. The big thing with oil is to change it regularly. I know a lot of people are running the Rotella, but I have seen the high detergent oil eat up aluminum engines. Also the Honda engines do not run anywhere near as dirty as a diesel engine.
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-K X 2
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

Re: what oil to use?

Thorby
I used Quaker High Mileage oil for cars in my last change and my bike has actually behaved better since it no longer puts out white smoke during the first minute of having being cranked cold.  Gas mileage has been good at 43 mpg.  I should mention that my winter has involved cold morning cranking in 40 degree weather.  I can't recall the actual viscosity of the oil, it's thicker than what the manual calls for.  However, this oil is very easy to find in any auto parts store, it's the one in the red container, so you can look at its viscosity in your next trip to the Autozone.
Proud owner of stock '76 CB750.

Re: what oil to use?

Thorby
I agree with TOOLS.  Regular oil changes are a higher priority for me than spending big money on "special" or fancy bike oil.
Proud owner of stock '76 CB750.

Re: what oil to use?

Piute

                                                         I agree with TOOLS.
                                        Regular oil changes are a higher priority for me
                                   than spending big money on "special" or fancy bike oil.

                            1977 CB750 F2 Super Sport

Re: what oil to use?

TOOLS1
Administrator
I hate to tell, you, but the dirtiest, nastiest, and gummy engines I have ever worked on were running Quaker Cake oil. Irony is my Dad used to use the crap. After I got his 85 S-10 from him, and switched it to Havoline it was, so gummed up it would only hold 5-10 pounds of oil pressure. Had to drop the oil pan, pump, and pickup off to clean them. They were plugged tight with gum, and goo. Quaker Cake, and Arco are the two oils I would never use. Not even, for free on a dare.
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-K X 2
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

Re: what oil to use?

sgtslag
If you want to know, for certain, what is going on inside your engine, and how well your oil is performing, spend the money on oil analysis (~$20-$30).  Otherwise, any SAE oil rated "SM" is fine, as long as it is changed appropriately.

If you want to be sure your engine is clean, buy a can of SeaFoam Engine Oil Treatment, and follow directions for adding it to your engine oil.  It is mostly white oil, along with some other chemicals.  It is 100% petroleum products, it will not harm your engine, but it will dissolve gum, varnish, and carbon deposits.  Once your oil turns black (if it turns black...), change it, and the filter, as this indicates that it has dissolved a load of junk which you want to remove ASAP.  When I treated my K model, it turned the oil black after five minutes idling on the center stand, having just reached operating temperature, 180 F.  I treated the same engine, 5,000 miles later, and after 300 miles, my oil was still the same caramel color -- no deposits, no gum, no varnish, no carbon.  After treating your engine, you can start with the oil of your choice, knowing that your engine, and transmission, are squeaky clean.

There is a growing body of evidence that engine oil will last around 7,000 miles, due to improvements in both oil chemistry, and engine technology.  Again, the only way to know, based on facts, as opposed to supposition and guessing, is to burn the cash on analysis.  Unfortunately, I have not hit the mile mark where I can send some oil off.   I hope to do my first analysis this Fall (synthetic oils last twice as long as regular, if not more).  Another characteristic of synthetic oils, is viscosity:  Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic (SAE rated SM, for automobiles; rated JASO MA for use in motorcycles) has a viscosity of 5W-40, so it is really easy to turn over an engine at 0 F -- love it for my vehicles here in Minnesota.  I switched all of my engines to the Shell T6:  one oil to stock, one oil to use, in everything requiring oil (one car, one truck, two motorcycles, two lawn mowers, one snowblower, one air compressor).  Cheers!
1979 CB750K (sold, 2012, but not forgotten)
1983 Kawasaki 440 LTD Belt Drive (sold, 2011)
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Re: what oil to use?

Re-run
Administrator
I use shell rotella t6 5-40 in all my bikes. You can use a standard 10-40, I used to. If you live in a hot area, a 20-50 works too. But the different in engine smoothness, shifting ease, and oil chain intervals more than made up for the slight additional cost. The biggest cause of engine wear in motors like this is lack of zddp. Engine oils of old 60 days had good doses of this stuff. Standard motor oil these days does not because it wreaks havoc with catalytic converters. Diesel oil such as rotella has additional zddp in it. Yes it has more detergents but not enough to cause damage, after all, a lot of new diesel engines have aluminum in them nowadays and this oil is very popular.

Do not shy away from synthetics. Synthetic is superior in every single way. It flows better when cold. It has a higher flash point and holds it viscosity better at higher temps. It protects better than any conventional oil, even in these engines. I switched to it in mine and I would never go back.

Do not cling to the old days when synthetic was considered bad. This is no longer true. And cost is not much different. A decent oil such as castrol is 2.50 a quart, if not more. This stuff is about $4.
$4 for longer oil life, better protection, plus, almost every new car, truck, whatever, uses conventional from the factory.
Whatever oil you do use, make sure it is a decent oil and look on the back to make sure it does NOT say "energy conserving".

Re: what oil to use?

Cabreco
I use Shell rotella T Triple as well. and if it hasn't been done I'd do a Seafoam treatment on the crankcase. You would be amazed not only at the gunk that comes out, but at how clean your next oil change will be. I also found that the bike runs cooler after the Seafoam.

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Virginia

Re: what oil to use?

TOOLS1
Administrator
Where can I get Castrol, for $2.50 a quart?
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-K X 2
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

Re: what oil to use?

shinyribs
Administrator
I use Rotella in everything but the Impala,my highway car. it gets right at 2 mpg better using Mobil1 full synthetic. I use the Rotella truck oil in my Duramax and every race engine I ever had. I was getting 500+ passes on bearings vs my buddies 3-400 who were using the latest "race oils". Duramax has 260k on it and I ghange the oil every 6k miles. It is still yellow at 2500 miles,so I stretch the changes out longer.I have been using the Rotella that Sarge recommended in my bike.All good so far. We had a E-350 with a 351w that Dad demanded we use quaker state in. It didn't end well.
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.~George Washington

Re: what oil to use?

Re-run
Administrator
I can get it at walmart, but it is not synthetic.

Re: what oil to use?

LukeM
Administrator
I have read on other forums that the Energy Saving feature of most automobile motor oils will play havoc with the clutches on the CB750 style motorcycles. Rumor has it the extra slippery stuff in there will cause clutches to lose their clutch-ability (if that's such a word). I've used MC specific 10w30 in my old bike, and I'm currently running Rotella synthetic 5w40 in my Shadow. There _seems_ to be a slightly easier clutch/shifting feel compared to the dino-type oil, but that may be subjective on my part.

Luke M
Used to have a 1979 CB750L, sold it as a parts bike, now riding a slightly modified 1984 VT700C. Network/Field Engineer. Central OH, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.